• 1 (5 to 6 pound) chicken
• Kosher salt
• Freshly ground black pepper
• 1 large bunch fresh thyme
• 1 lemon, halved
• 1 head garlic, cut in half crosswise
• 2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) butter, melted
• Dried herbs or fresh herbs, chopped (thyme, rosemary, oregano, tarragon or whatever is on hand)
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.Rinse the chicken inside and out. Remove any excess fat and leftover pin feathers and pat the outside dry. Liberally salt and pepper the inside of the chicken. Stuff the cavity with the bunch of thyme, both halves of lemon, and all the garlic.
Brush the outside of the chicken with the butter, rub with herbs and sprinkle again with salt and pepper. Tuck the wing tips under the body of the chicken.
Roast the chicken for 1 1/2 hours, or until the juices run clear when you cut between a leg and thigh. Remove the chicken to a platter and cover with aluminum foil for about 20 minutes. Slice the chicken onto a platter and serve it with vegetables.