A perfect day for a Spring soup with Browder's Birds Organic eggs.
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 medium carrots, peeled, chopped
- 6 small spring onions, bulbs only, coarsely chopped (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 3 medium spring garlic bulbs, 1-2 garlic scapes, or 2 regular garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- Kosher salt
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 pound asparagus, sliced on a diagonal 1/2-inch thick
- 1/4 pound sugar snap peas, sliced on a diagonal 1/4-inch thick
- 2/3 cup shelled fresh peas (from about 2/3 pound pods)
- 2 large Organic eggs
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan plus more for serving
- 1/4 cup torn fresh basil leaves
- 1/4 cup torn fresh mint leaves
- 1 1/2 teaspoons (or more) fresh lemon juice
PreparationHeat oil in a large heavy pot over medium heat. Add carrots, spring onions, and garlic and season with salt. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are soft, 15-20 minutes.
Add broth and bring to a boil. Add asparagus, sugar snap peas, and peas and cook until vegetables are crisp-tender, about 3 minutes.
Meanwhile, beat eggs in a small bowl with 1 tablespoon Parmesan, a pinch of salt, and 1 tablespoon water.
Reduce heat to low and stir basil and mint into soup. Drizzle in egg mixture in 4 or 5 spots around pot. Let stand for 1 minute so egg can set, then gently stir in 1-1/2 teaspoons lemon juice. Season soup with salt and more lemon juice, if desired. Serve soup topped with more Parmesan.